All 2 art Reviews

Pico's School (Photo) Pico's School (Photo)

Excellent work

Normally I hate costume work based on cartoons because it looks so fake, but you managed to pull this off. The costumes are believable, the hair is accurate, and the full arsenal of props gives it that extra edge. The one thing I'm iffy about is the lighting, but I suppose that's just a matter of taste. A new addition to my favorites.

To those citing the rules: true, they do say "no photographs," but they also say you can take a photograph of artwork. I would argue that costuming and prop arrangement is a form of art, and one not easily mastered; so since this is a staged picture of costumes and props, the work is permissible. And besides, if a staff member comments without deleting it (Bob), I'm guessing they don't consider it an issue.

Nova Blizzard Art contest 2005 Nova Blizzard Art contest 2005

Good, but you ouverlooked a few things...

Subject: Pose is awkward - she's standing almost too straight. The rifle doesn't seem to shift her weight at all; how would one hold a weapon that size and weight, at that angle, with only one hand and not bend the wrist? The right arm seems to be forcing in a straight position behind the leg; a slight angle in the elbow would fix that. Legs appear to be locked straight as well, "twinning" the pose; again, how she holds that rifle up with her legs creating that center of balance is beyond me. Wonderfully detailed, but defies the laws of physics.

Background: Seems to have been rushed, but it does relay the dark atmosphere of the environment, which can be difficult to do. The ambient lighting is mostly correct,save for a couple reflections off the rifle where there shouldn't be any. The creature silhouetted against the flames is a nice touch, as is the dead one behind her.

Summary: This is four years old, and you've probably improved since then. But in spite of your attention to detail, there are definite points where this could have been done better. 6/10 and 3/5 from me.

knockwurst responds:

I appreciate the honesty, and yes I can agree with everything you said : ) Thank you